Copperware and Pottery
Increasing use of copperware for domestic purposes has led to the development of the coppersmith’s craft, which flourished during the 18 th and 19 th century. Dowry arrangements of this period, reveal copperware’s significance in domestic economy. The most important center for copperware manufacture was Constantinople (Istanbul), where Greek craftsmen, mainly from the Black Sea, were considered the best.The majority of coppersmith workshops were In Western Thrace, Xanthi and Komotini, whereas in Alexandroupolis, there was a repair shop. Beaten copper technique, went on until 1955-1960, while up until 1975 only rural folk would buy copper, as it was associated with their traditional way of life. Beaten copperware was simple and functional and with or without decoration. People recognized it at holiday gatherings and donations from the engraved dedicational or proprietorial inscriptions.
The pottery workshops in Xanthi, Komotini, Alexandroupolis, Ferres, Soufli, Didymoticho, Metaxades produced simple, utilitarian pottery such as chimney pots, water pipes, cooking pots, milking pails, jugs, flower pots and vases. The Greek pottery makers who arrived after 1922 from well- known pottery- making centers of The Black Sea, Asia Minor, Eastern and North Eastern Thrace, kept the pottery-making tradition going at their new destination. Their output was adapted to the shapes of the local, established pottery-makers and the needs of simple households. Canakkale workshops were the main suppliers of pottery to the rich of the region. Canakkale was established as the center for pottery-making between 1670 and 1922. Kostas Voivontoudis in Metaxades and Papavlasakoudis in Soufli, are the last pottery-makers in S. Evros.